Learning Support Team
Canyon School has an established Learning Support team consisting of our Learning Support Teacher, Savi Houldin (email@example.com), Principal, Paul Pichurski firstname.lastname@example.org, Assistant Principal, Jessica Ames email@example.com and classroom teacher(s).
Our team meets on a regular basis to discuss current support programming, student growth and progress. This team serves as an assessing, researching , and planning body to assist various student needs. We also assist classroom teachers to plan and implement various programming.
The Learning Support Team at Canyon School is dedicated to collaboratively problem-solving and building capacity among staff members to meet the needs of our exceptional learners. We meet on a weekly basis to discuss and put into action plans to support our students who may be experiencing academic, social-emotional and/or behavioral challenges.
Educating students with special needs in inclusive settings is the first placement option.
Program planning and decision-making are based upon the Guiding Principles used to determine the most enabling environment for the student.
The most enabling environment is defined as one in which:
- Parents are partners.
- Students are not labeled or categorized, but viewed with individual strengths and weaknesses.
- Physical and educational settings are appropriate to the age, ability and interest of all students.
- Allowance is made for the dignity of risk in challenging situations.
- Suitably timed and frequent feedback by the teacher promotes demonstrable outcomes.
- School work is matched to student skills and interest through progress monitoring.
- Continuous opportunity is provided for the student to have meaningful interactions with peers.
- All students are treated fairly in providing responses in class.
- Intensive instruction occurs.
- The pupil-teacher ratio permits individualize programs and student portfolios.
- Curriculum is not just content, but is based on principles of child development. Context and process skills are also emphasized.
- Inter-agency collaboration occurs.
Our school based learning support team provides guidance and support for students, staff, and parents to ensure that student social, emotional, and behavioral needs are met. Behavior support needs are met via the Learning Support team.